Saturday, December 8, 2018
Auburn Middle School at 4163 Riner Rd
(Venue was changed due to flooding at Christiansburg Middle School)
OPEN TO THE PUBLIC TO SEE FUN STEM for all ages!
- Friday, 12/07 - 3:30PM Tournament Set-Up
- Saturday, 12/08 - 6:30AM Volunteer Check-In & Breakfast
- Saturday, 12/08 -6:30AM Judge/Referee Training
- Saturday, 12/08 - 7:00AM FTC Teams Check-In
- Saturday, 12/08 - 8:00-10:00AM Inspections & Judging
- Saturday, 12/08 - 10:30AM Opening Ceremony
- Saturday, 12/08 - 10:45AM Qualifications Matches
- Saturday, 12/08 - 12:00PM Lunch for Teams and Volunteers
- Saturday, 12/08 - 12:45PM Qualification Matches
- Saturday, 12/08 - 2:30PM Alliance Selections
- Saturday, 12/08 - 3:00PM Elimination & Finals
- Saturday, 12/08 - 5:30PM Awards and Closing Ceremony
See this year's challenge, Rover Ruckus, in an animation video! Teams are evaluated not only on robot performance, but their STEM outreach, control system, an engineering notebook, and a concept FIRST robotics calls Gracious Professionalism.
LODGING FOR TEAMS & VOLUNTEERS
Due to limited availabity this December weekend, these wonderful hotels have offerings for our FTC Teams and Volunteers.
- Holiday Inn Express -Christiansburg- $92.00 rate for 12/07 and 12/08. Contact Justin Dittmore at 540-312-9126 https://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpress/hotels/us/en/christiansburg/csbva/hoteldetail
- Fairfield Inn & Suites - Christiansburg - $94.00 rate for 12/07 and 12/08. Contact Justin Dittmore at 540-312-9126 https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/roafi-fairfield-inn-and-suites-christiansburg/
- Homewood Suites - Christiansburg - $99.00 rate for 12/07 and 12/08. Contact Justin Dittmore at 540-312-9126 http://homewoodsuites3.hilton.com/en/hotels/virginia/homewood-suites-by-hilton-christiansburg-ROACBHW/index.html
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites – Blacksburg - Only 16 king beds only for Friday, 12/07 and Saturday, 12/08 at $109.00 rate. The Holiday Inn Express & Suites – Blacksburg would love to host your stay during the upcoming FIRST event! Our hotel offers: Spacious Modern Designed Suites – Complimentary Deluxe Hot Breakfast Buffet – Indoor Heated Swimming Pool – Free Wireless Internet – 24/7 Business and On-site Fitness Centers. We are in a convenient location of only 2 miles from Blacksburg Middle School. Contact Kyle Davies at 540-552-5636 www.hiexpress.com/blacksburgva
- Comfort Inn - Blacksburg - This property has been renovated recently and features a free hot breakfast, scrambled eggs, biscuits and gravy, sausage, waffles, fruit and much more as well as 24-7 coffee (need energy boost for parents), lightening fast wifi, 11 minutes from Blacksburg Middle School, 6 minutes from NRV Mall & resturants, and 5 minutes from Virginia Tech. Rate = $79.00 Contact Rob Agnew at 540-951-1500 www.comfortinnblacksburg.com
TEAM FOOD OPTIONS
Concession sales of snacks and drinks will be provided. Coaches were sent a link to pre-order pizza. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc2YJ-G3FN64ntHUdIuBMOj6uTzjiK0ygusWOeCBD8gV8CRFw/viewform?c=0&w=1
Mention you are FTC to receive these special discounts at these eateries while visiting the area!
1. Whichwich - Christiansburg - Tika Patell - 540- 251-3449 or firstname.lastname@example.org $8.50 for a 7” (turkey, ham or chicken) sandwich, a bag of chips, and a cookie
2. Subway - Christiansburg -540-382-7512 Chips and cookie with any 6" sub for $7.50 or 12" sub for $8.50.
3. Macado's - Christiansburg - 540-381-8875 - Kaiser (ham, turkey, roast beef or chicken salad) roll with chips, pickle, and cookie for $8.75.
4. Dominos Pizza - Blacksburg (540-953-4600) & 2 Christiansburg (540-382-0808 & 540-585-4010) - Allison Shaw - Mix & Match Menu is a great deal and includes pizza, oven baked sandwiches, pastas, chicken and salads all for $5.99 each.
Volunteers are the key to inspiring today’s youth to become tomorrow’s innovators and technology leaders. This FTC Tournament needs 80 people to help in technical or non-technical ways. There is a volunteer role for you! Please directly contact Isabelle Marchand at email@example.com to volunteer your enthusiasm and support!
FOOD - Volunteers are well-fed during this FTC Tournament. Here is what we are serving and when. If you have any dietary restrictions, please let us know. Friday Dinner - WhichWich Sandwiches; Saturday Breakfast - coffee, tea, juices, milk with contential breakfast; Saturday Lunch - Fajitas with dessert and drinks; Snacks and botttled water will be served throughout the day to keep volunteers energized!
UNIFORMS - Wear comfortable clothing and shoes. FIRST will supply volunteer shirts based on sign-up, tournament position and availabity. Please show your pride by wearing your business or organization shirt. Most importantly, please wear a hat...the crazier the bettter!
QUIET LODGING - In addition to the lodging choices listed above, consider The Oaks Victorian Inn - Christiansburg - offers a quiet respite for volunteers who need to relax and decompress after the day's completion. Five spacious rooms featuring private bath are available at a price range from $159 - $219. All guests enjoy a 3 course breakfast and plenty of amenities. Contact LindaWurtzburger at 540-381-1500 www.theoaksvictorianinn.com