Saturday, November 10, 2018
Blacksburg Middle School at 3109 Prices Fork Rd
OPEN TO THE PUBLIC TO SEE FUN STEM for Elementary Age Kids!
- Friday, 11/09 - 3:00PM Tournament Set-Up
- Friday, 11/09 - 6:00PM Volunteer Dinner
- Friday, 11/09 - 6:30PM Volunteer Judge Training
- Saturday, 11/10 - 7:00AM Volunteer Check-In & Breakfast
- Saturday, 11/10 - 7:30-8:30AM FLL Team Check-In
- Saturday, 11/10 - 9:00AM Opening Ceremony
- Saturday, 11/10 - 9:30AM-3:30 PM Judging and Matches
- Saturday, 11/10 - 11:30 AM Lunch for Teams & Volunteers
- Saturday, 11/10 - 4:00 PM Awards and Closing Ceremony
See an overview of this year's robot challenge. Teams are evaluated on their robot design, robot performance, project presentation, and a teamwork challenge.
LODGING FOR TEAMS & VOLUNTEERS
Due to limited availabity this November weekend, these wonderful hotels have offerings for our FLL Teams and Volunteers:
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites – Blacksburg - Doubles and king suites on Friday 11/09 , and only king suites for Saturday 11/10 at a rate of $119.00 per night. The Holiday Inn Express & Suites – Blacksburg would love to host your stay during the upcoming FIRST event! Our hotel offers: Spacious Modern Designed Suites – Complimentary Deluxe Hot Breakfast Buffet – Indoor Heated Swimming Pool – Free Wireless Internet – 24/7 Business and On-site Fitness Centers. We are in a convenient location of only 2 miles from Blacksburg Middle School. Contact Kyle Davies at 540-552-5636 www.Hiexpress.com/blacksburgva
- Comfort Inn - Blacksburg - This property has been renovated recently and features a free hot breakfast, scrambled eggs, biscuits and gravy, sausage, waffles, fruit and much more as well as 24-7 coffee (need energy boost for parents), lightening fast wifi, 11 minutes from Blacksburg Middle School, 6 minutes from NRV Mall & resturants, and 5 minutes from Virginia Tech. Rate = $89.00 Contact Rob Agnew at 540-951-1500 www.comfortinnblacksburg.com
TEAM FOOD OPTIONS
Concession sales of snacks and drinks will be provided. Coaches will be sent a form if a team wants to pre-order pizza. These food offerings are being organized by the tournament host.
Teams can order their own boxed lunches (in as little as 48 hours) before the tournament. Order can be Delivered or Picked-up by the team. Mention you are FLL to receive these special discounts!
1. Whichwich - Christiansburg - Tika Patell - 540- 251-3449 or email@example.com $8.50 for a 7” (turkey, ham or chicken) sandwich, a bag of chips, and a cookie D/P
2. Firehouse Subs - Blacksburg - Lindsey Jones - 540-961-0371 - $7.19 The Rookie with 8" (turkey, ham, roast beef, chicken salad or tuna salad) sandwich with chips and pickle. Add $0.80 for a cookie. D/P
3. McAllisters Deli - Blacksburg - 552-0695 (ext 3) or firstname.lastname@example.org Club sandwiches choices McAllister (turkey and ham) or Orange Cranberry (turkey and ham w/sauces), and Club Warp (turkey and ham) with chips, fruit, potato salad or applesauce, cookie and pickle for $8.75 Traditional sandwich box lunches are also available featuring roast beef, turket or ham for $7.65 each. D/P
4. Subway - Blacksburg -540-961-5036 Chips and cookie with any 6" sub for $7.50 or 12" sub for $8.50. P only
5. Macado's - Blacksburg - 540-951-0609 - Kaiser (ham, turkey, roast beef or chicken salad) roll with chips, pickle, and cookie for $8.75. P only.
6. Dominos Pizza - Blacksburg (540-953-4600) & 2 Christiansburg (540-382-0808 & 540-585-4010) - Allison Shaw - Mix & Match Menu is a great deal and includes pizza, oven baked sandwiches, pastas, chicken and salads all for $5.99 each. D/P
Scroll down for Volunteer Information...
Coach advice: See this great article from a winning coach at our tournament in 2018 - 13 things that experienced coaches should know!
Volunteers are the key to inspiring today’s youth to become tomorrow’s innovators and technology leaders. This FLL Tournament needs 70 people to help in technical or non-technical ways. There is a volunteer role for you! Please directly contact Isabelle Marchand at email@example.com to volunteer your enthusiasm and support!
FOOD - Volunteers are well-fed during this FLL Tournament. Here is what we are serving and when. If you have any dietary restrictions, please let us know. Friday Dinner - McAlister's Deli Sandwiches; Saturday Breakfast - coffee, tea, juices, milk with contential breakfast; Saturday Lunch - Pasta Bowls with salad and dessert and drinks; Snacks and botttled water will be served throughout the day to keep volunteers energized!
UNIFORMS - Wear comfortable clothing and shoes. FIRST will supply volunteer shirts based on sign-up, tournament position and availabity. Please show your pride by wearing your business or organization shirt. Most importantly, please wear a hat...the crazier the bettter!
QUIET LODGING - The Oaks Victorian Inn - Christiansburg - offers a quiet respite for volunteers who need to relax and decompress after the day's completion. Five spacious rooms featuring private bath are available at a price range from $159 - $219. All guests enjoy a 3 course breakfast and plenty of amenities. Contact LindaWurtzburger at 540-381-1500 www.theoaksvictorianinn.com